NetWireless are set to have an exciting year with the much-anticipated release of Wi-Fi 6, arguably the most significant wireless development in the last 15 years (5Ghz was released in 2003).
When coupled with the beginnings of the 5G cellular network, we are looking forward to an unprecedented data rate revolution which is set to transform business and create high-speed trusted intelligent connectivity; Providing further opportunities for IoT to drive business innovation and catapult communications with customers, clients and employees. Connectivity is key to the day- to-day operations of most businesses, and determines how well services can be delivered.
With little overhaul of your network, Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) promises to better your business significantly with more efficient data transfer throughout the 2GHz and 5Ghz bands, with a conservative maximum data rate of 9.6 Gbps, almost triple the data rate of the previous standard!
Increased network capacity, improved performance and power savings occur through the adoption of the latest wireless technology standards such as Multi-User Multiple-Input Multiple-Output (MU-MIMO) and Orthogonal Frequency-Division Multiple Access (OFDMA).
MU-MIMO supports a higher concentration of devices by using up to 8 steams (double previous standards) across the same channel/frequency which greatly enhances the spectral efficiency of an access point.
OFDMA splits channel bandwidth into multiple narrow-band subcarriers to carry information more efficiently. By assigning subsets of subcarriers to individual users (instead of data packets travelling in one box, you can imagine many small boxes) a very high throughput is achieved by transmitting packets of data simultaneously.
Wi-Fi 6 technological developments are anticipated to provide an even more reliable fast connection that supports:
- – Artificial Intelligence
- – Virtual Reality / Augmented Reality
- – 4K – 8K Video Streaming
- – IoT Adoption
- – Automated Wireless Robots
- – VoIP (Video over IP)
- – Cloud Access and Utilisation
- – File Sharing
- – Data/Application/Service Orchestration
And reduces hardware requirements.
How does coupling with 5G help?
Wi-Fi 6 will be the bridge for organisations to adopt the advancements of 5G; Wi-Fi consumption, already increasing, will be further driven by the rollout of 5G, the proliferation of IoT adoption, and the explosion of Wi-Fi dependent services will all benefit. Wi-Fi 6 will formulate in many of the 5G enterprise connectivity use cases that will be released throughout this year.
With 5G “… we think about 10 gigabits per second throughput, we talk about 10x battery life, we think about 1000 times more data volumes in the networks. It’s just radically different. I would say it’s a quantum leap compared to 4G.”
It is an exciting time to be involved in developing high speed connectivity.
Considerations of Wi-Fi 6 and 5G
- – Seamless mobile connectivity between cellular and Wi–Fi will be critical. Securely transferring between cellular and Wi-Fi networks without latency will be the key to improved efficiency.
- – The release of Samsung’s 802.11ax S10 client device only highlights Wi-Fi 6 is here now. It won’t be long before other vendors release their compatible devices.
- – Although, the uptake and adoption of 5G technologies will take time with some anticipating a complete rollout by 2020, it is advisable to prepare your IT infrastructure now to benefit from the anticipated high-speed connectivity.
- – Exploiting both Wi-Fi 6 and 5G technologies will provide organisations with a competitive technology strategy.
Unsure if your wireless solution can support Wi-Fi 6 and ultimately 5G? Contact NetWireless who can complete an audit of your premises and design wireless infrastructure that adopts the efficiencies of Wi-Fi 6 and 5G.