A real-time location system (RTLS) is a technology that detects the exact location of anything from a vehicle, to an item in a manufacturing plant, to a person.
RTLS is used in logistics, health care, the military, retail, recreation, and courier services.
Most RTLSs consist of wireless tags, badges or armbands that emit a radio signal. Some tags also log temperatures.
The range of RTLS applications is very diverse and includes:
– shortened search time for urgent equipment,
– prevention of theft,
– reduced patient wait times,
– alerting caregivers of patient activity/inactivity,
– improved response times to staff duress (or ‘man down’ scenarios,
– eg workers in freezer environments),
– ensuring that blood,
– tissue or medication are kept at safe temperatures, etc.